Canapés have become such a fun and creative element, often tying in the theme of your wedding or event with your food, and can be a huge talking point amongst your guests during your cocktail hour. Forget boring canapés, and have your scrumptious hor d'oeuvres served as though they are miniature works of art - whether it's served on easy to eat and elegant tasting spoons, or on interesting serving boards such as slate or a mirrored surface. We've even seen caterers Kalm Kitchen serve some canapés from a decorative birdcage! Equally, your guests will be entertained by canapés which allow some interactivity such as having to squeeze a little pipette containing a jus into the tasty delight as you pop it in your mouth.
The key to a perfect canapé is for it to be served in a beautiful bite-size portion and means your guests don't have to worry about the impracticality of holding a drink plus a plate plus a napkin (plus a clutch bag!). It is also important for your canapé menu to provide a balance of mouth-watering flavours, colours and textures whilst fusing a classic choice with a contemporary twist so that there is something for everyone to try.
We've put together a moodboard of some of our favourite canapés to be served as a pre-dinner snack alongside Champagne for your wedding or event from fabulous caterers Alison Price, Zafferano, Kalm Kitchen and The Social Pantry.
Let us know which of these sound utterly yummy to you and would be something you would pick for your canapé menu!
CANAPÉ MOODBOARD MENU IDEAS:
ROW 1 (Alison Price):
- Ham Hock and Apple, Split Peas and Pea Puree on Pork Crackling
- Iberico Pork Taco
- Treacle Cured Salmon, Heritage Beetroot and Horseradish Wafer
ROW 2 (Zafferano):
- Kerala spiced lamb shoulder croquette, green chilli and coriander relish
- Beef Wellington skewer with a tiny shot of Guinness reduction
ROW 3 (Kalm Kitchen):
- Asian seared tuna with mouli, ginger mayonnaise and chive in savoury sesame cones
- Beetroot cured salmon on horseradish blinis with sweet dill and mustard sauce
- Walnut toast with goat’s cheese and fig chutney, fig crisp and chervil
ROW 4 (The Social Pantry):
- Ricotta Mousse and Red Amaranth Stuffed Courgette
- Layered Cherry Liqueur Iced Shots